Taste the Greek History
Join us on a journey of flavours through time. Discover the gastronomic heritage of Greece and learn how the local food culture has changed from the Minoan times to today.
Join this week-long cooking holiday in Crete and we promise to introduce you to the authentic cuisine and local culture of this unique Greek island. Share what makes rural Crete so special – the welcoming people, wonderful food and wine, the history of food since the ancient times and long meals among friends and family. Your base for the week will be The Olive Farm in the district of Apokoronas in the north western part of Crete, a 30 minute drive from Chania.
- A full-on experience of every aspect of the local gastronomy and its evolution since the Minoan times
- Greek cookery workshops, so you learn and take home new skills
- Visits to artisan producers here will really get you under the skin of life in rural Crete and help you appreciate why it is so centered around food and socializing.
Greek cooking workshops and meals
The holiday includes three hands-on cookery sessions based on Cretan cuisine, the gastronomic heritage that holds the secrets to longevity. Most of the cooking takes place in a wood fire. During the workshops you will get a chance to sample a selection of Greek wines with some produced by local varieties. All your meals have been specially selected and organized by us so that you can experience the real flavors of Greece with award wining, fresh and seasonal local produce.
Visits to artisan producers
Honey, wine, olive oil and local cheese. Four products that will be on our daily menu – so visiting the people behind these products is essential. Scattered in different villages in the area a beekeeper, a wine producer, an olive oil producer and a cheesemaker will welcome us to their production units and offer a bit of their knowledge. Honey will no longer be just honey! And you will never look at a goat the same way again.
Nature and sites of Archaeological importance
As well as getting to know the culinary heritage of Crete you will have the chance to enjoy Crete’s outstanding nature sites, during our visits to wonderful beaches and Natura sites, nature reserves well known for their unique biodiversity. Alternatively you may choose to visit famous sites of archaeological importance. Let us know when you book and we will give you all the options.
Your accommodation can range from small traditional cottages that sleep 2-4 people to larger luxury villas.
All accommodation is located in and around the village of Litsarda, close to The Olive Farm.
When you get in touch to plan your holiday we will discuss your specific accommodation requirements. We will provide a range of options for your particular tour, with photography, before you book the holiday.
Day 1| Arrival
Meet up at the airport or the city center of Chania. Welcome you to your accommodation in the area of Apokoronas, a leafy region in the Northern coast of Crete with numerous villages between the olive groves and vineyards. Small reception with drinks and meze and info on the schedule of the week.
Free evening to explore the village – bikes are available
Meals: Snack |
Day 2| Introduction to Cretan Gastronomy – Central Market Visit
Visit the central food market in Chania along with our chef – buy provisions for our workshop and identify the products that have their roots in ancient Greece.
Visit the Venetian harbor of Chania and walk round the old part of town
Cooking workshop – Dinner at the Olive Farm – The menu also includes ancient Greek dishes.
Meals: Breakfast | Dinner|
Day 3| Honey bees – Olive oil Soap
Cycle to the local apiary. Learn about the local flora combinations and the types of honey produced in the area. We will sample honey and buy supplies for our cooking workshop (protective equipment will be provided). Option for car transfer is available.
Al fresco lunch at the local “kafeneio” (café) or at the beekeepers garden with wine and raki, herbal tea and honey sweets.
Olive oil soap workshop, learn to make your own handmade soap using olive oil. We have revived the original ancient Greek recipes.
Evening free to spend as you like
Meals: Breakfast | Lunch | Cycling or walking: 40 min| Difficulty: easy
Day 4| Day excursion
As per request day excursion to nature sites, hiking trails or archaeological sites.
Early dinner in one of the best restaurants in the area serving traditional Cretan food.
Meals: Breakfast |
Day 5| Local Winery
Visit the local winery – spent some time at the vineyard and enjoy cheese and wine tastings during lunch at the winery. Crete is famous for the wine and goat’s cheese, you should never leave the island without having tasted both!
Cooking workshop and dinner at the Olive Farm – we will revive ancient Greek recipes and cook in clay pots as it was done during the Minoan civilization.
Meals: Breakfast | Light Lunch| Dinner | Cycling or Walking: 40 min Difficulty: easy
Day 6| Day Excursion
As per request excursion to nature sites, hiking trails or archaeological sites!
Slow food restaurant dinner in a small establishment in the foothills of the White Mountains.
Meals: Breakfast |
Day 7| Farewell Dinner
Greek Pies Workshop
Our final cooking workshop at the Olive Farm with a farewell BBQ party. By now you are an expert and have grasped the true spirit of Greek gastronomy.
Meals: Breakfast | Dinner |
Day 8 | Departure
Breakfast and Departure for the airport or the city center of Chania depending on further travelling arrangements
Meals: Breakfast |
An artisan cooking experience in Crete
- Region: Crete
- Destination: Chania
- Duration: 8 days / 7 nights, or as per request
- Activities: cooking, walking or cycling, making natural olive oil soap, visiting local food producers
- Difficulty: easy
- Price per person: Get in touch and we will give you a quote depending on your preferences and exact requirements. Children receive up to a 30% discount.
- Single supplement: from £250
- 2017 |11 Apr – 18 Apr (A1)
- 2017 |25 Apr – 02 May (A2)
- 2017 |02 May – 09 May (A3)
- 2017 |23 May – 30 May (A4) (Solo Travellers)
- 2017 |06 Jun – 13 Jun (A5)
- 2017 |20 Jun – 27 Jun (A6)
- 2017 |18 Jul – 25 Jul (A7)
- 2017 |01 Aug – 08 Aug (A8) (Solo Travellers)
- 2017 |22 Aug – 29 Aug (A9)
- 2017 |12 Sep – 19 Sep (A10)
- 2017 |26 Sep – 03 Oct (A11) (Solo Travellers)
- 2017 |10 Oct – 17 Oct (A12)
Click here to submit form
- Accommodation in traditional guest houses
- Breakfast (7), Dinner (3), Lunch (2)
- Carefully selected top quality traditional meals
- All workshops and and activities fees
- Cheese, wine and honey tasting sessions
- Visits to artisan producers and any entrance fees
- Single rooms
- Meals adopted to specific allergies
- Bicycles and bike equipment
- Car rental although we encourage biking
- Private driver
- Specific dietary needs at your accommodation
- Extension of visit in Crete
- Guided visits and transportation to archaeological sites
From time to time our itineraries may be amended, either for operational reasons or in response to feedback from customers. Please ensure you have read the latest Trip Notes before booking or travelling on your tour. Please note that while we operate successful trips in this region throughout the year, some changes may occur in our itineraries due to inclement weather and common seasonal changes to timetables and transport routes. This can happen with little notice so please be prepared for modifications to the route.