Greek activity holidays
We are a UK company operating in Greece, organizing small group activity holidays, in places full of great people and great food. Our aim is always to promote responsible tourism and sustainable living, offering authentic agro-tourism and eco-tourism experiences. As well as Greek activity holidays, we offer a whole range of workshops, so everyone can get involved.
Travel is about experiencing and discovering places, people and flavours. Now you can discover Greece through our hand picked experiences, becoming part of a rural community where you participate, relax, taste and feel like a local.
- Tourism can never be completely sustainable but we are working to respect the same local natural resources and cultural experiences that we are promoting.
- We work with local suppliers to ensure that our tourism venture supports the local economy.
We developed Hand Picked Greece because we believe that experiencing a culture is a journey among different places and a journey through time and tradition. Our Greek activity holidays are designed so that you can share in that tradition!
We are looking forward to meeting all those foodies and travellers out there who appreciate the importance of authentic flavours, traditions and sustainable living.
What We Stand For
Travellers not tourists
We want you to travel like a local. We will travel with you, helping you embrace the local culture. You become part of the community and get immersed in everyday life, and some of the unique foodie activities that make this area famous. You can make the cheese, harvest the olives for olive oil, the grapes for wine or simply sample several traditional products and learn the local culinary habits. All this is wrapped together in our unique activity holidays in Greece.
We remain true to nature, trying to preserve natural resources with all our activities. Our eco-tourism principles mean that we will do our best to respect the local natural resources at every step.
We aim to bring economic benefits to the local communities where we work. More of the cost of your holiday stays in local people’s hands, so you will be supporting the people who help make your experience truly authentic.
Authenticity and culture
We value authenticity and tradition so we hope that our guests will understand the true essence of Greece and become part of the community. We respect and promote the local character of each community, making efforts to conserve both the natural and the cultural heritage.
Who We Are
We belong to a generation that grew up picking the fruit straight from the tree. We lived on sour-dough bread that our mothers and grandmothers made and filled ourselves up with olive oil and home-grown tomatoes. That was back in the 80’s… in Greece. When hungry all we had to do was to grab a piece of bread and forage the garden or “make do” with a delicious piece of leftover pie. Happy and flavoursome times!
- It is exactly these memories that have shaped our decision to create Hand Picked Greece and deliver Greek activity holidays so others can share these good things. We have a strong desire to conserve, sustain and promote the flavours and experiences of Greece that we grew up with: simple, fresh and authentic.
- We have a passion for food, nature and the outdoors. We want to contribute to making a better place for local people to live in and a better place for travellers to visit.
Lefteris, host and tour guide
Frini, Resident Cooking Instructor
Korina, instructor - artisan cosmetics
Nature and sustainability form a major part of my own personal values so it is my principle to communicate those values during the workshops and inspire people the way my grandmother inspired me!
Antonia, host at the Mani Peninsula tours
I love my birthplace and enjoy long walks and visits to the beach – and creating jewellery out of almost anything.
I would like to invite you to come and experience the Mani for yourself. Come and meet the people and relax in this beautiful place. I love to cook and to offer hospitality and to meet visitors from all over the world. You will be made most welcome.
Good slow cooking and a relaxed pace are definitely on the agenda here.
Lianka - Visiting chef
As a dedicated vegan you’d think that Crete (famous for its cheese, cheese is everywhere) would be the last place I’d want to live, but actually it works surprisingly well.
In recent years I’ve developed a bit of a passion for social media, a really important route for us to promote the business. So do follow us on Facebook or Pintrest and we’ll keep you up to date with how it is all developing.
I founded LU Creative Studio, an artistic multiplex where creative seminars, retreats and special events are organised.
This quest for creativity also lead me to the path of Yoga. I started practicing from a very early age with different yoga instructors and participated in various theoretical courses and workshops. In 2010 I received my first Yoga Teacher Training Diploma (200hrs) from Sivananda Vedanta Centre and in 2013 I completed the Advanced Teacher Training Course (500hrs) in Ghyta Yoga School (both centres accredited by the Yoga Alliance International).I enjoy teaching small groups, especially close to nature. I find that it is easier for students to understand their inner potential through the practice, away from the noise and distractions of city life. Looking inwards comes naturally, after a couple of sessions; we can then be more creative and distance ourselves from the familiar way of thinking.
We have established a network of wonderful people whose products and services are helping us create our special Greek foodie offering.
- Local artisan producers, winemakers, beekeepers and cheese makers.
- Local farmers that often provide us with their produce.
- Hotel and house owners with wonderful personal histories, amazing skills and a passion for what they do.
- Mountaineer and walking tour guides who know the area well – all the trails and paths, the gorges and the the best spots to enjoy the magical views
- Naturalists and scientists who day in and day out concentrate their efforts on preserving the natural beauty of Greece and communicating science and raising environmental awareness.